Prospect Sierra provides a unique educational experience for each of our students. As with all privately funded schools, we generate revenue from tuition and fees, annual fund giving, foundation grants, and other individual or corporate donations. This revenue allows us to keep our teacher to student ratios below 10:1 — significantly below most California schools. Because of all these revenue sources, each one playing an essential role, we are able to teach, mentor, and provide an exceptional educational experience for each of our students.
Tuition and Fees for 2013-14
- Elementary School (K–4): $22,680
- Middle School (5–8): $24,850
- Family support programs available for a wide range of need (see below)
- Tuition and Fees for 2014-15 available in February.
Tuition includes field trip costs, graduation expenses, books, yearbook, and most school supplies.
- Site assessment fee (per family)
- Transportation costs and AfterSchool fees
- Parent Association dues
- Contributions to the Annual Fund campaign
Please note: Some of these expenses are reduced for families receiving tuition assistance.
Prospect Sierra families are asked to make donations to the Annual Fund each year to supplement our operating budget. Gifts help fund areas such as technology initiatives, library acquisitions, tuition assistance, and professional development.
We ask all families to support this fundraising effort at a personally significant level; every gift is appreciated and meaningful. As Prospect Sierra is a 501c3, unrestricted gifts are tax-deductible, and some employers may match their employees’ gifts. For more information about the Annual Fund and its use in the school budget, contact the Office of Advancement.
The school offers two programs to provide support based on demonstrated family need:
- Tuition Assistance is comprised of grants of varying amounts based on family need as assessed by an extensive review of finances.
- The Tuition Support Program (TSP) requires less paperwork and awards families up to $2000 per child for up to two children enrolled at Prospect Sierra School.
- A program aimed at supporting families during the economic downturn.
- Designed to help families who do not qualify for traditional tuition assistance but who are stretched with current independent school tuition.
- For families who have education as a top priority.
- Simple for both families and the school: a flat reduction in tuition for families with income below a certain level. Very little paperwork involved.
- Designed to spend money on people rather than on the process.
Families may receive help from either program, but not both.
Prospect Sierra offers tuition assistance for qualifying families as assessed by School and Student Service (SSS) and the Prospect Sierra Tuition Assistance Committee.
Tuition Assistance Deadlines
To be considered for tuition assistance, please complete the Parent Financial Statement (PFS) online. For families applying to Prospect Sierra, these must be completed and submitted prior to the application due date: Monday, January 13, 2014. (For current Prospect Sierra families, the application due date is Tuesday, November 19, 2013.)
Once complete, submit the original PFS directly to School and Student Services and send a copy to the Prospect Sierra business office along with other requested documentation. Parents who are separated or divorced must each complete individual PFS forms.
A copy of your 2012 Form 1040 with application must be sent to the school’s business office with application. Please also forward your 2013 Form 1040 when ready, no later than April 16, 2014.
Admission and tuition assistance decisions are mailed on March 13, 2014.
There is a different timeline for current Prospect Sierra families and for families new to Prospect Sierra. Current Prospect Sierra families who wish to apply for tuition assistance should download the timeline and letter for “Current Families.” This is true whether or not your family received Tuition Assistance in the past.
All families who are applying to Prospect Sierra and will be new to our community should download the forms for “New Families.”
Download Forms: Current Families
Download Forms: New Families
Tuition Support Overview
The Tuition Support Program is intended to keep Prospect Sierra School a more affordable choice. Details about the program include:
Families fill out a brief questionnaire and submit the signed first two pages of their current 1040. (Links will become active when forms are available.)